Friday, May 18, 2007

I've been Minimoys'd!!!

I'm gonna get right down to it...

When I was young, there were only really two movies in my life:

"Labyrinth", and "The Dark Crystal"

Everyone my age, and I mean EVERYONE my age or older knows these movies... and when mentioned nowadays, you dont get a "ya, i saw it.... good movie'.... you get a 'OHHH YAAAAAA' followed by some rendition of 'You remind me of the babe, what babe? the babe of the power...etc'

if you dont know that quote...stop now... you dont belong here... go watch your Yu-gi-oh...

anyways, I have watched these 2 movies my entire life, I own them both, and the one thing that really got me was how universal these movies were... it wasnt just an American or Canadian thing. I brought them on all 3 ships I worked on, and I have watched them countless times with South Africans, Australians, English, Scottish, Argentinian, Chillian?, German, Irish (with Guiness I might add)...the list goes on...

...and then it got to me... and I am going to sound like a Grandpa right now so cover your ears...

...they just dont make movies like they used to...

More specifically, Childrens Movies, or fantasy sans the sci-fi part of it... there has not been one movie I have seen since Labryinth and The Dark Crystal in that kind of genre that has made me feel in ANY way like I felt while watching those two... at all!

...untill now...

enter: "Arthur and The Invisibles"

me and my mom rented it on a whim the other day, and when we sat down to watch it we were immediately hooked. First of all, The Invisibles LOOK like Gelflings from The Dark Crystal!! I was amazed! They were computer animated, but hey...No one can do what Henson did anymore. Secondly, guess who plays the bad guy?! none other than the Goblin King himself, Mr. David Bowie! Hark, have they just combined my two favorite movies into one?!

Please? yes. yes I am :)

Now, if they can make a sequal, and throw something in from The Pirate Movie, Caveman, The Three Amigos, and Spaceballs.... I can narrow my favorite movies list down to one! :)

(but those really arent kids movies...are they?) =)

No comments: