Saturday, March 25, 2006

Life Moves Funny Sometimes...

I dont even know where to start....um...I am in the Singapore terminal again...eating my cheesy wedges and having a nice cold pint o' Tiger.... I just finished talking to Graham on msn (HEY DUDE!) and after I am done here I am going back onto the ship. Lets see....this morning 8am I was in the Captains Lounge with him, the staff captain, the PSD, and two Singapore officials.... sounds like I murdered someone right? The highest ranks on the ship, two Singapore officials, and ONLY me....I managed to fend them off with my camera... but seriously, all I had to do was photograph them all holding up an envelope saying "We donated $3600 to some place in Singapore".....then Grit, Julia and I grabbed our shite and hitched a taxi to the beach....where the sand looks like bread crumbs and the water tastes like....well....Salt mixed with a tad of Hep A and B....and I swam in it.....so beautiful.......until Grit tossed a handful of sand down the back of my shorts.........and lets just say when I caught her, I learned a few new German words.... After that we came back to the terminal...they had to work and I had to catch a bus to chinatown to meet Szymon...

A word of advice....

in Singapore, Chinatown is just....TOWN...... when a friend says "hey, take the 143 bus to chinatown and i will meet you at the stop between 2:30 and 2:45...." ......get more info.....

So, i walked around, found an american, asked him if he knew where szymon was.... and after laughing by myself, i hit up Burger King (yay), and cabbed it back to the terminal....and this is where I am now...

ok so as far as last week goes.... and the week before (wow i REALLY didnt update this recently lol)... we just did the Mallaca, Port Kelang, Phuket, Port Penang run... in Phuket I was IPM (couldnt get off ship...god dammit).... but we were anchored 1km off shore..and when the big tsunami came a few years ago, we were anchored right in the path it took. Buildings are still blocked off, and even before I knew where we were, I woke up to this certain.....void feeling..... like something was just not right... one side of the ship was land, the other was sea.... and when you look out.....you can just imagine it happening. We were all celebrating Christmas when it happened......and Boxing day over here....and ....you can just see it coming........its just...... its a real mindfuck.... there....first swear on my blog, but there ya go... +100,000 people died that day, and some of them right here....tourists.... like me....10am, ......and the scary thing was, Grit and I were eating out on the back deck when I was explaining (or trying....) this to her....and it was 10:30am....close enough to shake you up.

Do me a favor... if you can, search and find "tsunami sound file" on google.. somewhere out there, there is a recording of the earth splitting open under the sea.....turn all the lights off, turn it up as loud as you can, and just sit there... thats all that went through my mind as Grit and I stood at the railing looking out into the sea in Phuket. Thats all I could think.

......deep breathe.....back to writing updates now: We are doing Laem Chabang this cruise again (BANGGGGGGGGGGGGG-KOK!) and guess what....

my next door neighbor in Calgary...Ray...good buddy from a mutual ...friend...

He and his girl went backpacking to India last November (driven to the airport by yours truly) and this week...they are in Bangkok.....and I am going to meet them.....how crazy is that?! "oh hey guys, have fun on the other side of the planet...oh and by the way....4 months from now, are you free for a cold one in Bangkok? Great! I will pencil you in!"

Life moves funny sometimes....

Like sitting on the beach today and hearing "Sakura, raise the flag.....no no no, the orange one".....signs from past lives....still haunting me...

that last sentence was for me. Dont expect to understand it. Nothing wrong with writing for JUST ME sometimes.

Life moves funny sometimes......

See you all in the next cartoon.

No comments: