Friday, October 13, 2006

One Less Fear...

I have a fear. Well...HAD a fear. This is going to sound funny. I went swimming tonight with Grit, Hill, and Kaia, and it occured to me that I have never actually DOVE off of a diving board. I have JUMPED off a diving board many times, but I have never done the typical 'head first arms stretched' kinda dive. When asked why not by my sister, my only reply was "I dont really know". I think I was scared at some point in my childhood and then never really had a NEED to dive into water before (funny, I work/live in the middle of the ocean). Anyways, so I kinda chuckled to myself and said "well, I guess a fear is a fear is a fear, so lets get this FIRST dive over with just to get it out of my system"...

so up the diving board I went (its only 2 feet off the water)...

and when I got to the end...

(dare i say this. stop reading now please)...

I froze.

what the hell?!

27 years of NOT diving and now I simply CANT.

Long story short: A lot of time passed, I felt like a total puss and finally did it and (to my own accord) after many attempt I also perfected it...sorta.

Moral of the story: I said it before..A Fear is a fear is a fear.... it doesn't matter what degree it is, it can be overcome.

I have many fears, but what I am slowly finding out in life is that I am growing less afraid to overcome them. Today I overcame a fear, and as silly as it was, it felt so good beating it. I am asking you (yes I am talking to YOU) that the day you read this, whatever day TODAY is for you....TRY to overcome a fear. Even if its something childish like mine was....just go ahead and fight it.

There's a lot of things in life to be afraid of, erase one of them today.

quotes on fear:

"Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed." (har har)
Michael Pritchard

"You don't face your fears, you stand up to them."
Anonymous


"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
Eddie Rickenbacher

and my personal favorite:

"He who loses wealth loses much; he who loses a friend loses more; but he that loses courage loses all."
Cervantes

-m-

No comments: